The third gua in the Bagua is representative of health and family.
The element of this third gua is wood. Before we dive into using wood in the health and family area of our spaces, let us take a look at the element of wood, what it means, and how it grounds us in our life.
Wood is an interesting element for me. As I am earth element, it can be overcoming in my own life. I use to be turned off by it and it was my least favorite element to work. I have now learned to embrace it and have learned so much about how to use it. Wood can be sturdy and strong like a strong oak tree that doesn’t move in the wind. Also symbolic of wood however is a small, gentle, yet beautiful and expressive house plant. If your 9 star ki astrological sign is 3 wood, you are a dynamic person who loves to talk and probably always on the go! You are ambitious and can be driven and capable of big action! You are probably somewhat independent, resilient, and value honesty. Your throat chakra is strong, and it is easy for you to speak your mind. At the same time you remain positive and optimistic, and other people just can’t help but like you!
(Do you want to find out if you are a wood element? Use a 9 star ki calculator. There are many online you can search for).
You might be wondering where in your home or office the relationship area is. In BTB Feng Shui, the Bagua Map is used to determine this. If you were to stretch a “tic-tac-toe” grid over your space from the front door, the health and family gua is the middle left area of your space. If you are ready to have a baby in your new marriage, looking to resolve family issues, give your health a boost, or simply want to enhance the harmony in health and family, the following are some ideas of what you can use to enhance this area in your space to transform the family and health energy in your life.
- As for using color, dark greens, turquoise, and brighter blues are the color of the wood element. Keep in mind that deep, dark blues (such as navy), is a water element.
- Plants are of the wood element. Therefore, house plants, will enhance this area of your space.
- Paper is of the wood element, so this is a great place to store books. Especially those that focus on creating the harmony within family and health you wish.
- Since this is the area of family, this is a perfect space for photographs of those you consider to be your family. Keep them fun, happy, light, and most importantly alive. Nourish the energy of those that are currently living. It is not to say that you shouldn’t have pictures of ancestors that have crossed over out, but perhaps a better place for those would be in the helpful people sector of a space (as they are helping you from above) or even self-cultivation. Lastly, if this area falls in your bedroom, eliminate this remedy as images in a bedroom should be kept intimate, romantic, and loving.
- Ensure that any wood elements such as doors, picture frames, furniture, etc, are all in good working order.
- Since this is the third gua, keep things in threes. Try using 3 pictures of live relatives, 3 plants, 3 wooden shapes, or 3 blue flowers*.
- Rectangles are the shape of the wood element and work excellent here. You can use rectangular picture frames, glass vases, or even an art piece that is rectangular .
- The direction of the wood element is east. Do something specific to the east area of this gua that is reflective of your intention with health and / or family. You might consider placing 3 books in the east area of this gua.
- The season of the wood element is Spring. Spring is the beginning of the season cycle. It is a tie when new branches grow from old wood to produce new leaves, grass begins to push through the snow of the winter, and this wood energy brings about anew. What a great place to promote Spring! Keep fresh spring flowers* here or a painting of a bright, wonderful spring day filled with nourishing wood elements.
The below photo are some things in my own family gua; a vibrant, healthy plant in an orange pot that holds water, a solid piece of wood furniture, a rectangular picture frame (that is 1 of 3) from the day my parents were married, and a feng shui book. The curtain in the back drop is also of the wood element, as it has plants that are of blue, turquoise, and green.
Now that you have some ideas on how to enhance this area, I want to advise of some things to avoid. While this is a wood gua, it is still important to keep the area in balance of all 5 elements. Having said that however, in the cycle of the 5 elements, fire exhausts wood and metal overcomes or “chops” wood. Given these relationships, keep artificial lights and candles in this area minimal, and metal objects away. To better understand what this means and how to apply it, read about the 5 Element Theory.
Set intention of harmony you wish to draw in. Harmony within your family unit, a radiant health, easy communication, and a joyous home life. And so it is!
*(keep in mind flowers are fire so keep them minimal and alive if you use this remedy.)